Kim Minchin Dunn © TOM PITFIELD PHOTOGRAPHY
“…I opened the wardrobe and I was overwhelmed with what I was going to wear!“
KIM MINCHIN DUNN INTRODUCES OUR STYLE SECTION…
Hey everyone! My name is Kim and I’m owner of Kim Minchin Lifestyle, bringing you exclusively designed jewellery, unique handpicked Homeware and fashion from across the globe, mama to Romy who’s just turned one and wife to Chocolatier Oli the Choc.
I am delighted to be a part of the brood journey and to bring you a regular style column!
I will be talking all things home styling, home organisation, easy to wear fashion, styling yourself and your life around being a parent.
For my first column I really wanted to talk about losing your fashion mojo when you become a mama. One thing I noticed when I got home after having Romy was that of course it was life changing and my previous life aka “flying by the seat of my pants” was no longer an option. When I was finally out of maternity bras and oversized pants I opened the wardrobe and I was overwhelmed with what I was going to wear, I wasn’t physically and mentally the same person I was when I went into the hospital to have Romy. Who was I?
Some of you may be thinking why does it matter what you wear, it’s what’s on the inside that matters, right? Yep, absolutely it does! But I know for me clothing is part of my identity and when I feel good in them it makes me feel confident. I think we can pretty much all agree that feeling good in what you wear certainly puts a spring in your step and gives you that extra boost and as a new mum this is key to bringing YOU back and giving you this new identity – “mummy” that stills goes on date night and still goes out for lunch with the girls feeling killer.
IMAGE © Kim MINCHIN DUNN FOR BROOD MAGAZINE LTD
I know I’m not alone here, it’s something I spoke about in my interview with Brood and a message I know resonated with lots of new mamas.
So, what was the answer? Well here’s my guide to feeling your best new mama self, practical clothing but still feeling stylish, on trend and most importantly confident.
- Keep it simple. Try not to look too much at trends to begin with, it’s about understanding your new body, the new things you may need to do i.e. breast feeding, picking up and holding baby. Getting the pram out of the car, carrying a thousand bags, changing nappies in the most random of places – the list goes on.
- MOM jeans. So, I was very new to a mom jean and prior to being a mum I just didn’t get them, but I thought why not embrace it seeing as though I was a new mum. Well life changing is all I can say. My favourite fit are from Next. I’ve got them in all washes of denim. There’s so many styles out there.
- Shirts- everyone needs a white linen shirt in their life mama or not. Comfy loose and perfect if you are breastfeeding. Even better they look perfect with mom jeans and easy to wear for day with trainers or evening by popping on a pair of heels. I find them super comfy and easy to move around in picking up baby.
- Stylish trainers. Comfort and style is key here. These will become your essential. They need to go with everything you own and if they do you will wear them all the time and never have to worry what to put on your feet when rushing out of the house.
- Get dressed up. Even if you are popping to the supermarket or to meet a friend for a coffee – first of all make sure it’s a time to suit you around feeds and naps. Whilst baby is having morning nap get showered and get yourself feeling good. It makes all the difference!
- And the MOST important one of all. Embrace your new you, your new everyday, your new life and your new body. You and your amazing body did something incredible! Respect it, love it and embrace all those perfections that made you a mama!
Go get em mama! ✌🏼
P.S I know they’re comfy but get out of those those maternity pants as soon as you can- otherwise you may never go back to normal pants if you don’t (trust me I was close to never buying a normal jean again 🤣)
Written by Kim Dunn
KEEP UP TO DATE WITH BROOD:
SALLY ROWE'S TOP MAKEUP CHRISTMAS PICKS Whilst we are amidst the countdown to Christmas Day and our present lists are ever growing. We put ourselves under more pressure each year to buy for our nearest and dearest……and in my case, also the window cleaner, postman etc...
This month’s recipe is one of my absolute favourites - Auntie Cath’s energy-boosting flapjacks. They’re super healthy and kids are going to love making them. They’re fab for lunch boxes, and you can freeze them! Catherine Tyldesley (or Auntie Cath as she’s often...
SUMMER MAKE UP TRENDS Wanting to wake up your complexion from dull to full of colour? Here’s a view to an ultra glossy look with flushed cheeks that is a hit this summer. Mid tone blush is a new trending technique for blurring together your blush and under-eye makeup...